, Kingston, NH


August 26, 2013

Protect Your Stuff at School

MALVERN, PA – Before cramming all the necessities for modern college living into the family minivan for the trip back to school this fall, you may want to ask yourself, “who pays for all of this stuff if it gets stolen or damaged?”

If they live in campus housing, students’ stuff may be protected under their parents’ homeowners insurance. However, if they live in off-campus housing, purchasing a renters insurance policy may help keep personal belongings properly covered in case of theft or damage while away at school.

“In most cases, whatever your student takes to college that is normally covered by your homeowners policy remains covered while they reside in university housing,” said Allstate spokesperson Julia Reusch. “If they choose to be more independent and rent an off-campus apartment or house, we suggest they consider purchasing renters insurance – which, for an average premium with a $15,000 limit, generally costs about the same as having a pizza delivered each month.”

Allstate suggests some relatively simple things that a student can do to help keep track of their belongings:

Personalize your items. Engrave them with name, personalize with hard-to-remove stickers, use permanent marker.

Create an inventory. Take pictures of your valuables (and their serial numbers) so they can be identified later.

Lock your dorm room door whenever you leave. This may be the single most important rule. An open door with a laptop or other items sitting out on a desk is an open invitation.

Get to know other students on the floor and in the dorm. Recognize and report strangers and encourage other students to do the same.

Don’t let strangers into the building. Don’t prop security or outer doors open.

Don’t leave expensive items out in the open. Don’t leave your personal property unattended in study areas, cafeterias, libraries, or visible in your car.

Text Only

New England News