CarriageTowneNews.com, Kingston, NH

News

June 20, 2013

Kingston Chronicles

(Continued)

The fire was believed to have been caused by an overheated central floor furnace. Many homes had this type of hot air furnace because they were inexpensive, but they were not very safe. The furnace was suspended from the living room floor into the basement with one large heating register flush with the floor. On this particular night it was very cold so they turned the heat way up and went to bed. The mistake made was that before going to bed, they put many diapers on a wooden rack over the large register. After drying out, the diapers got hotter and hotter and finally reached the combustion point and caught fire. This intense heat caused the curtains, overstuffed furniture, and other light combustible materials to catch fire. These items were smoldering, causing the smoke, but the wooden items didn’t catch fire. When we arrived, there were no flames so the fire was put out quickly.

Dr. Claire, the Rockingham County Coroner, had to come all the way from Portsmouth to pronounce that the three people had died. The Reverend Bob Howard went to see the widow that next morning. Although he had never met her before, he felt that he helped by just listening to her. Later he officiated at the tragic funeral.

(Editor’s note: Don Clark is a long-time Kingston resident, who served the community as a fireman, teacher, and selectman.)

Text Only
News

New England News
Obituaries
  • Marie Rose (Robidoux) Audy

    LAWRENCE — Marie Rose (Robidoux) Audy, passed away at her home surrounded by her family, after suffering a stroke in April. She was born in Lawrence and was the daughter of the late Rose A. (Betit) and Alfred Robidoux, originally of Quebec, Canada. She was predeceased by her husband of 28 years, Armand Joseph Audy, who passed away on June 28, 1976.

    Continued ...
    6 days
  • Charles Anthony "Chuck" Carnival, 79

    Jackson, MS — Charles Anthony “Chuck” Carnival, 79, formerly of Raymond, N.H., passed away Thursday, June 19, 2014, at Central Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Miss.

    Continued ...
    13 days 1 Photo
  • Francis M. Lurvey, 76

    Bar Harbor, ME — Francis M. Lurvey passed away Sunday, June 22, in Bar Harbor, Maine, after battling cancer. By his side were his sons, Edwin Lurvey and Steven Lurvey and his niece and husband, Debra and Richard Carey, as well as cousin, Marion McDonald. He was the son of Edwin R Lurvey (Bar Harbor) and Delia Amazeen (Dexter). He is survived by five children, a stepson, and their families. His sons, Edwin and wife April, Steven and wife, Pam, David and his daughter, Meghan, as well as his daughters, Lorraine and Ellen and her husband, Paul DiScipio with daughters, Katherine and Julia, and his stepson, Brian Faulkner and wife, Jody with children, Trevor, Rachel, and Keith. He is also survived by his sister, Sheryl, and many nieces and nephews including Frank Lurvey and Elaine Langer. Francis was predeceased by his twin brother, Frank, as well as his brothers, Edwin and Erwin. He was also predeceased by his longtime companion, Brian and Edwin’s mother, Maureen Faulkner and former wife, Roberta Lurvey Gilmore.

    Continued ...
    20 days 1 Photo
  • Norman R. Cote

    Atkinson, NH — Norman R. Cote, of Atkinson, was called to his heavenly home on June 16, 2014, following a period of declining health.

    Continued ...
    20 days
  • Frederick M. Hopper, 64

    Epping, NH — Frederick Michael Hopper, of Epping, N.H., passed away unexpectedly on Sunday, June 15, 2014. Predeceased by his wife, Alice Hopper, he is survived by his longtime girlfriend, Joann Peatfield; daughters, Shay Belair and Jayne Pond; sons-in-law, Adam Belair and James Pond; mother, Arlene Hopper; father and stepmother, Frederick S. and Barbara Hopper; siblings, Susan Hardy, Stephan Hopper, Scott Hopper, and Sherri Chagnon; grandsons, Benjamin Belair, Jonathan Belair and Jackson Pond; and numerous nieces and nephews.

    Continued ...
    27 days 1 Photo

Stocks