DANVILLE —The Webster Stagecoach Stop & Store will be open to the public for the first time during Danville’s Old Home Day on Sun., August 25, from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Restoration on the building continues but has progressed enough to allow the public to view work that has been completed and preview the museum it will one day become.
This building, located at 1 Sandown Road, is recognized as the last, or one of the very few remaining, occasional rural stagecoach stops in the state. It was built and owned by Nathaniel Webster, a distant cousin of Daniel Webster, and Danville’s first federally-appointed postmaster from 1825 through the 1830’s. The two room building; built or assembled around 1820 on the east side of Route 111A, housed a blacksmith shop on one side and a small general store on the other. It is believed the building served as a stop for early post riders and wagons used to carry passengers between cities and towns and later, stagecoaches which carried passengers and the mails. Stagecoach operations ceased between 1890 and the 1920’s with the arrival of trains, motorcars and motorbuses.
Other historic buildings in Danville that will also be open to the public on Old Home Day are: Little Red Schoolhouse, 380 Main Street; Old Meeting House, 470 Main Street; North Danville Union Church, 42 Beach Plain Road; Samuel & Peter Sargent Cooperage, 44 Beach Plain Road; and White Schoolhouse/Sanborn Library, 45 Beach Plain Road.
Come and enjoy a snapshot of Danville’s history on August 25, from 1:00-3:00 p.m.!