While we normally share mobile apps, this week's "special edition" piece includes three desktop apps to save your distracted self from social media scrolling, constant email checking and general lack of focus.
SelfControl for Mac
If you lack self-control and find yourself wasting hours scrolling through social media, you can always download it. SelfControl, the Mac app, allows the user to build a personal blacklist of websites and will block them for a specified amount of time, up to 24 hours.
Self Control can be downloaded for free. (PC users can download a similar app, Freedom.)
Cold Turkey for Windows
Cold Turkey goes one step beyond blocking websites and lets users schedule a day's worth of blocks for websites or programs. Allow Facebook only during your lunch break or block out a few hours when you won't check email.
It can be downloaded for free.
While useful, RescueTime might tell you a few things you don't want to know. The program tracks your usage and will give you stats on which activities dominate your day. Think you spend too much time on Twitter? RescueTime can tell you.
RescueTime Lite is available for free for Mac, Windows and mobile systems.
- Arizona's prolonged lethal injection is fourth in U.S. this year
- Technology plays key part in battling police brutality (VIDEO)
- Facebook continues moneymaking trend
- Has the ipad lost its swag?
- Almost half of America's obese youth don't know they're obese
- Darth Vader is polling higher than all potential 2016 presidential candidates
- July 22, 2014
- Llama on the loose corralled in Missouri town
- An oncologist uses scorpion venom to locate cancer cells
- VIDEO: Train collides with semi truck carrying lighter fluid
- What we get wrong about millennials living at home