While we normally share mobile apps, this week's "special edition" piece includes three desktop apps to save your distracted self from social media scrolling, constant email checking and general lack of focus.
SelfControl for Mac
If you lack self-control and find yourself wasting hours scrolling through social media, you can always download it. SelfControl, the Mac app, allows the user to build a personal blacklist of websites and will block them for a specified amount of time, up to 24 hours.
Self Control can be downloaded for free. (PC users can download a similar app, Freedom.)
Cold Turkey for Windows
Cold Turkey goes one step beyond blocking websites and lets users schedule a day's worth of blocks for websites or programs. Allow Facebook only during your lunch break or block out a few hours when you won't check email.
It can be downloaded for free.
While useful, RescueTime might tell you a few things you don't want to know. The program tracks your usage and will give you stats on which activities dominate your day. Think you spend too much time on Twitter? RescueTime can tell you.
RescueTime Lite is available for free for Mac, Windows and mobile systems.
- Sunburn isn't the only sign of summer that can leave you itchy and blistered
- Survey results in legislation to battle sexual assault on campus
- An alarming threat to airlines that no one's talking about
- Sharknado 2 set to attack viewers tonight
- Spanx stretches into new territory with jeans, but promised magic is elusive
- Medical marijuana opponents' most powerful argument is at odds with a mountain of research
- Obama had crush on First Lady of Rock
- Can black women have it all?
- July 28, 2014
- Redskins not the only nickname to cause a stir
- 'Rebel' mascot rising from the dead